Head, Balance Sheet and Performance Management About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Balance Sheet, Liquidity and Capital Management
- Identify various types of risks in the bank's balance sheet.
- Provide input for strategic oversight, thought leadership and quality solutions to maintain capital ratios without compromising on growth;
- Develop opportunities and strategies to add value and protect earnings taking into account interest rate outlooks.
- Understand the extent to which the balance sheet position impacts on the financial performance of the Bank in various economic and interest rate scenarios
- Actively contribute to providing leadership and direction in driving the Balance Sheet and Capital Management of the Nigeria business including the ALCO priorities;
- Provide insights, analytics and other the subject matter expertise to drive balance sheet and capital efficiency targets at the country level, in partnership with the Finance leadership team, Risk and Group Treasury;
- Provide subject matter expertise to drive and strengthen our competitive advantage through proactive capital and liquidity management;
- Carry out a monthly analytical review of the Balance Sheet and provide insights into key drivers of performance in terms of business segments and products;
- Deliver the following Group reports within set deadlines: Budget Balance Sheet; Capital Plan; ICAAP
- Drive regulatory related reporting and deliverables in partnership with Business and Risk in relation to Capital and Liquidity;
- As a key member of the ICAAP working group, own and deliver capital inputs and provide insights for the final output document;
- Have a good knowledge and understanding of Balance Sheet components and drivers, and lead the drive to optimise these for the country.
- Work closely with the Regional/Group Performance Management and Balance Sheet teams to identify and coordinate opportunities for both BAU and Strategic objectives including rationalization of management reporting, automation opportunities, etc as well as with the Aspire teams and Finance Systems with regards to infrastructure and process.
- Prepare reports and findings, including financial information to assist Ho BS&PM in ALCOs decision making and maintain oversight on production of ALCO pack.
- Monitor the strategic balance sheet measures to ensure adherence to approved limits.
- Assist where required in working groups appointed by ALCO to address strategic issues that impact Balance Sheet, Liquidity and Capital.
- Assist where required with the annual ICAAP and other stress test exercise including SCB Nigeria related stress tests working jointly with Group Treasury.
- Assist where required with the SCB Nigeria balance sheet optimisation & capital agenda jointly with Group Treasury.
- Be in charge of the FTP framework and policy application
- Management of Quarterly Subsidiary Board Papers
- Provide appropriate and reliable MIS for the development of SCB marketing strategies & business plans and monitor performance of the Segments against financial budgets / FCs.
- Analysis at various levels to improve decision making:
- Economic / business sector,
- Credit / non-credit products).
- NIM / Volume analysis
- Cost analysis
- Competitive Analysis
- Address underlying profitability & risk/reward aspects, e.g. revenue streams/ income leakages/ reduction of expenses etc. through appropriate strategies such as tariff revision, periodic interest rate reviews, cost allocation rules, risk and capital charge, Basel etc
- Ensure that the MIS delivered is reflective of existing business KPIs.
- Review monthly cost reports and commentaries prepared by the team and ensure these are circulated in a timely manner, and attend to queries arising;
- Proactively work with Business finance and GFS to deliver accurate forecasts and budgets including active involvement in the planning, review and challenge process;
- Review of P&L to provide insights into key drivers of performance in terms of business segments, products and cost lines, and track monthly variances;
- Highlight opportunities and risks for management action;
- Deliver monthly flashes within the set deadlines
- Deliver the following Group reports within set deadlines: Quarterly forecast; Annual Budget, Corporate Plan
Laws and regulations
- Have and maintain good understanding of applicable laws and regulations pertaining to liquidity, capital, recovery and resolution planning and ensure appropriate controls to remain compliant with them.
- Delivering the Group capital and liquidity agenda
- Have and maintain good understanding of structural liquidity and capital policies and other control requirements.
- Provide recommendations on optimal balance sheet shape (deposit and capital mix, funding and asset profile, currency mix, returns, dividends).
Risk Management and Control
- Ensure adherence to structural liquidity and capital limits, authority frameworks and related minimum control standards and mitigants to ensure risk exposures material to the country remain within risk tolerance and risk appetite.
- Identifying pressure points and potential emerging challenges related to structural liquidity and capital limits in country balance sheets.
- Seek appropriate assurance that structural liquidity and capital policies and other control requirements are effectively implemented and monitor ongoing policy compliance.
- Ensure robust process controls are in place in line with the operational risk framework
People and Talent
- Set appropriate tone and expectations in terms of ensuring effective financial controls.
- Serve as Secretary to ALCO and ensure all minutes are promptly circulated and action plans are tracked
- Work with the colleagues to deliver specific projects and deliverables, as determined by the Country CFO
- Develop and embed a high performance culture with specific focus on capability, effectiveness and productivity
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Balance Sheet and Performance Management Team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.] *
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- CFO - Country
- FC - Country
- Business Finance Heads - Country
- Country ALCO
- Treasury Markets
- Regional Head, Balance Sheet and Capital Management
- Africa & Middle East Office -Dubai
- Group Finance, London
- GFS Ghana and Chennai
- Group Treasury
- Group Internal Audit
- Africa Finance Systems
- Central Bank of Nigeria
This is a key role as a finance partner to senior country leaders. Superior level of judgment is required - - in identifying risk and opportunities on Capital and Liquidity Management and making recommendations and providing effective solutions and advice to ALCO;
- providing in depth analysis and insights to drive the Capital and Liquidity Management agenda and take it to the next level; providing insights into the business performance, risks and opportunities to drive business decisions
Our Ideal Candidate
- First Degree in BSc. Accounting, Finance, Economics or similar degree
- Desirable - Professional certifications in Accounting, Professional Memberships in ICAN, ACCA
- Understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and its impact of the bank's financial reporting.
- Good working knowledge of the Group Accounting practice and Local Regulatory requirements supplemented by all round Banking experience.
- Candidates should have a proven track record of presenting and interacting at the senior management level hence possess exceptional verbal and written communication, presentation, facilitation and interpersonal skills with an ability to relate at all levels;
- Prior experience should demonstrate both the analytical and strategic abilities experience;
- Prior experience in implementing a Basel regulatory and capital management framework will be an added advantage;
- Management and leadership skills in a dynamic and high expectation environment with an ability to work under pressure and deliver under tight deadlines;
- A team player and independent worker with ability to delegate to get the most out of the team;
- Cross team collaboration and leadership experience skills - proactive engagement with various units across different geographies
- Strong Microsoft Excel, SQL a
Job Summary The Finance Officer is responsible for managing the finance functions of DRUPP Kwara. In collaboration with management, develop finance strategies...
Published a month ago
Job Summary We are looking for a smart, passionate, and resourceful Finance & Accounts Executive Minimum Qualification: Degree Experience Level: Senior level...
Published a month ago
Job Summary Our client, an award winning, high impact, financially sustainable and highly scalable agribusiness social enterprise seeks to hire a Associate...
Published a month ago
Job Summary Our client, an award winning, high impact, financially sustainable and highly scalable agribusiness seeks to hire a Associate, Corporate Finance...
Published a month ago